Sunday, December 23, 2012

My Life as a Florist

This is yet another post about flowers, but I feel the need to post all the lovely creations I made for my sister's wedding.  It was my first time working with calla lilies and orchids, so I was a bit nervous.  It was also my first time making some major flower arrangements.  I had the task of making all the bouquets, as well as 8 fairly large arrangements for the stairway at her wedding (and more).  It was a longggg day of flower arranging, and some trial and error, but everything turned out beautifully!

Here is the calla bouquet tutorial I used- I went with 12 stems for the bridesmaids' bouquets and 15 calla stems for the bridal bouquet (work with multiples of 3 for best results) and here are the floral cages I used for the stair arrangements (bought from a local shop)


This is one of my beautiful stairway arrangements!  I used a cage floral foam block and some wonderful palms, roses, stock, mums, and other filler to create these lovely arrangements. Then I added these tulle bows to jazz them up a little!

Here is her bouquet- I used callas and freesias as the collar around them.

I love making flower arrangements for cakes to add some great color and flair to simple cakes. For these I used spray roses, orchids, and limonium. Just bundle them up like you would for a mini corsage and tape them up with some floral tape.  So easy and so pretty!

Here's one of the calla bouquets for the bridesmaids.  Check out the link to the tutorial on how to make these- it's actually pretty easy.  Just group the stems into sections of 3 callas, tape them up, and then tape all the sections together so they are all facing outwards.  Then we wrapped them with simple gunmetal gray ribbon. I never was a fan of callas until now!  p.s. I also made those vases for the head table.

We got this idea when we found those black mirrors, and then my mom found the little white vases (I think at a thrift shop), and I made the little flower bunches.  Just put a chunk of floral foam into the container and stick the flowers in there in a beautiful way!

I took this while I was in the process of making the bouquets.  The one on the left was what I originally made for the bridal bouquet.  I loved the freesias interspersed into the callas, though it didn't stay like that.  I think they all look great here!

Here is what the stairs looked like (actually there were 2 more on the bottom tier).  Love how these turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment