Saturday, April 6, 2013

Wine Cork-Cork Boards

We drink a lot of wine in our house, and we always keep all of our wine corks.  At one point about a year ago, I realized that we just had a vase full of wine corks, and they could probably be put to good use.  So I went Pinterest-ing of course!  There are a MILLION wine cork craft ideas out there, but I wanted to make something that was actually functional in our house.  So I have been making "cork boards" using actual wine corks.  It is super easy and the most important ingredients are corks and a hot glue gun.  Check out some of the ones I have made!

Yard Stick Cork Board

Materials:
  • Yard Stick
  • About 40-45 Wine Corks
  • Hot Glue Gun
  • About 1 inch of string/twine

Instructions:

Before you glue, lay out your corks so that you know you have enough and the proper placement.  I also made sure that they were all facing the same direction and arranged them the way I wanted.  Once you are ready, glue them on one by one, starting at the top.  Once the yard stick is covered, you are done!  So easy.  To hang mine, I made a loop out of a bit of twine and hot glued it to the back of the top, so that it could hang from a small nail.  You could use any type of hanger you want though.  I think it looks great on my thin room-dividing wall!

Framed Cork Board

Materials:
  • Picture Frame (mine was 10x10 and I got it on clearance at Michael's for $2)
  • Spray Paint (if you want to paint your frame)
  • As many Wine Corks as will fill it
  • Hot Glue Gun

Instructions:

Since I wanted to change the color of my frame, I took it apart and spray painted the frame itself brown.  Remove the glass, since you won't be using it.  My frame came with a cardboard backer behind the glass, so that is what I used to attach the corks to. If yours doesn't, you can cut a piece to fit and use that. Arrange your corks in the pattern you want and make sure they will fit, and that you have enough!  I put the frame back together once it was dry (minus the glass) and glued them right onto the cardboard so that I was sure to fill up all the space in the frame.  Glue them on one by one until they are all on there nicely.  And that's it!

There is so much you can do with wine corks, and I hope this provided some inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment