Sunday, April 7, 2013

DIY Buffet Tray

A few months ago we got a new buffet for our kitchen- mainly because we needed a lot more kitchen storage space... But the bonus was that I got a whole new area to decorate!  My husband and I decided that one of the things we wanted for the top of the buffet was decanters for liquor/wine/etc.  So I thought, why not get some kind of cool tray to display them on- or better yet- make one!  So, off to Michael's!  I didn't really know what I wanted to do, so I just wandered around Michael's for a while to see what I could use to make a tray. And this is what I came up with!  All in all it probably cost me about $10-15 to make, and was really easy.  The hardest part was being patient as I waited for everything to dry. The cool part is that you can use this same basic idea and customize it with whatever colors and design you want.  Here is what I did:

Materials:
  • Wood Plaque (I used an 11x14 oval, but pick whatever you want)
  • Spray Paint (I used brown)
  • 2 Pieces Scrapbook Paper (Pick whatever design you want!)
  • Scissors
  • Mod Podge (I homemade mine- just equal parts Elmer's glue and water!)
  • Sponge Brush
  • Krylon® Crystal Clear Acrylic Gloss Coating

Instructions:

The first thing you want to do is trace the plaque shape onto your scrapbook paper.  You will have to use 2 12x12 sheets if you use the 11x14 oval, so match the designs up as best as you can.  Nobody will notice if it isn't perfect!  Trace the shape with pencil onto the paper, and cut out the circular shape.  Next, spray paint your plaque and allow it to dry.  Be sure to get the sides really well, since that is the painted part which will show.  Once it is dry, you are ready to Mod Podge!  Coat the tray with the Mod Podge, and stick the paper onto the tray, matching it up as best as you can.  Use your sponge brush to brush the Mod Podge over top of the paper, being sure to smooth it out as you go.  Do a thin coat (if it is too thick, the paper may get wet and tear).  Allow it to dry to the touch, and repeat the Mod Podge coat a few more times.  I probably did about 5 coats, letting it dry in between coats. Once it is all coated and dried, you can finish it off.  Spray the Krylon gloss coating over top- this will make it waterproof and seal it all up.  Once that layer is dry, you are done!  Time to admire your fabulous new buffet tray!


I love how this looks on my beautiful buffet, and it is a perfect size and shape to display our decanters.  It was nice to be able to customize it to perfectly fit into the decor of the room, too!



No comments:

Post a Comment