Friday, January 18, 2013

Flower Favorites

One of the hardest things to figure out when doing your own flowers is what kind of flowers to even buy.  Where do you start?  This was something I struggled with, especially when I realized that there are about a billion types of flowers out there.  Typically, if you go to a florist, you can give them the general idea of what you want, and they will fill in the rest.  So if you do your own, you need to figure out ALL of the flowers and filler that you'll be using.

So what did I do? Lots of research, some more research, and some experimentation.  Most people at least know the color scheme they are looking for.  When you want a color flower like blue, that will limit you right there, which may make things easier (hydrangeas, anyone?).  BUT if you want purple, pink, yellow... there are a lot of options!  Once I figured out my colors, I did millions of google searches looking for bouquets and arrangements with these colors, which definitely helped me find ideas.  I also did a lot of research on what types of flowers work best in bouquets.  FYI: THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!  Some people loooove the look of peonies, but take them out of water, and they wilt very fast- not pretty.  Since I was doing hand-tied bouquets, I needed flowers that could survive out of water without a problem.  Lots of sites online can tell you about the sturdiness of flowers, or, see below.

Finally, we did some experimentation.  This means, buying a dozen roses (or callas, etc) and a bit of filler and practicing making bouquets, and seeing how they look.  This can help you, especially to know how big of a bouquet you want and how many roses/callas/etc you will need to buy for each one.  I would recommend doing some kind of tester before buying things.  Other than that, you just have to trust that what you buy will be enough and that your research paid off!  Here's some info that hopefully can help!

Roses, alstroemeria, lisianthus, and limonium of course top my list of favorites.  Callas are also a new favorite.


Roses: These are obviously a classic wedding flower, and for good reason.  Roses are very sturdy and make for a great base for any bouquet.  The stems are thick and make a bouquet easy to construct.  And I think they are beautiful! They also come in a ton of colors, and are easy to fit into any wedding color scheme.  In my opinion, they are a great addition to any flower arrangement!

Lots of color choices!

Alstroemeria (Peruvian Lilies): These are my new favorite flower.  They are super affordable and go really far.  Since there are multiple flowers on each stem, you really only need a few stems in each bouquet or arrangement (and they are often priced around $1/stem).  They also come in a ton of colors, and usually have a second color on the inside of the bloom, making them very interesting looking.  They also stay looking great out of water, and when they are in water, they will last for weeks (no joke).  As a filler in a bouquet or arrangement, these are a must have for me!


Lisanthus: I love this flower.  They are a little more delicate, and not strong enough to be the main flower in an arrangement, but as a filler they are fantastic.  I used different shades of purple as well as white.  I think they are beautiful, and lasted no problem out of water in the bouquets.




Limonium: This is a filler flower, similar to baby's breath.  I love this flower as a filler in bouquets, arrangements, boutonnieres, etc.  It comes in a lot of colors and is easy to kind of stick into any place you need a little extra filler.  I like using it in bouquets for just that little something extra.



Stock: This is a flower that is often overlooked.  It looks like an expensive flower (similar to freesia in some ways), but is actually really cheap.  I like this best in arrangements, as it is pretty sizable and fills in space really well.  You can also use it to add height, as the stems are fairly long.  Great addition to any arrangement.

Spray Roses: These are literally just mini roses.  They are really cute and are great for corsages, boutonnieres, and cake arrangements.  They also come in a ton of colors and are pretty versatile.  I probably wouldn't use them in bouquets (too small), but they are great for smaller arrangements.




Lemon Leaf (Salal): This is my favorite green to use as a color for bouquets, etc.  I have also used palms before which are very cheap/easy to incorporate into bigger arrangements.



Calla Lilies: I admit, I used to hate these.  BUT, after making bouquets of callas for my sister's wedding, I really do like them.  They are sturdy and stay in good shape out of water.  See My Life as a Florist for tips on how to make a calla bouquet.  I think if this is your style, go for it.  Bouquets are pretty simple to make, and they also look really cool alone (long-stemmed) in a tall vase as another arrangement. 


Now, of course there are other great flowers out there!  Just be aware that you should really do some research and experimentation before committing to a flower, especially if that one flower is going to be the base of all of your arrangements.  Like I said, there are some that just get wilted and won't last (i.e. peonies, hydrangeas out of water), and you don't want that!  Best of luck and remember, it IS possible to do your own flowers!

P.S. If you are looking for a place to get your flowers, I would suggest finding a bulk flower wholesaler in your area.  This way you can actually visit the place to see some of the flowers in person before you order.  This is the type of place that florists order from, so you will need to make sure that they sell to non-florists too.  Another great option is Sam's Club online (provided you are a member).  They actually have great stuff for great prices.  I have also heard good things about fiftyflowers.com, even though I have not used them.  Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment