Saturday, April 6, 2013

DIY Springtime Wreath

I have seen a ton of DIY wreath ideas on Pinterest and other places lately, so I felt inspired to make my own.  It is finally transitioning to springtime here (well, as spring as it gets here...), so I decided to start transforming our house away from the depressing wintertime stuff, and get some joy and color into our lives!  This wreath took about 30 minutes and probably $10 at Michael's to make (as long as you go during a sale and armed with coupons as I always do).  It was really easy and I love how it makes the house look!  Hope it inspires you to make something similar for your house...

Materials:
  • 1 Grapevine Wreath (I used the 14" I believe)
  • 3-4 Bunches of Fake Flowers (I used white and yellow)
  • 1 Small-Medium Wooden Letter (of your last name!)
  • Acrylic Paint (I used turquoise)
  • Paint Brush
  • Hot Glue Gun
  • String/Twine (for hanging)

Instructions:

First you want to paint your wooden letter using your acrylic paint and brush.  I only did one coat and it was fine, and dried in about 20-30 minutes.  Set it aside to dry.  Take your flower bunches and separate them into individual strands or stems.  I found it easiest to stick the flower stems into the wreath and secure them as best as I could by kind of winding them into the wreath.  I also used the hot glue to glue down certain areas, especially at the end points.  Play around with the placement to get them looking how you want.  Once the letter is dry, use hot glue to attach it to the wreath.  Finally, attach some twine/string to the top (my wreath had a loop at the top to make it easier), and cut it to the length you need for hanging.  Hang it up and admire your cheerful springtime wreath!


No comments:

Post a Comment